Do you know how to keep your home safe from carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuel does not burn properly. Things such as wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, oil, methane, and propane can all be potential sources of carbon monoxide. It is important to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, but there are also some other safety tips that you should be aware of.
- Make sure carbon monoxide detectors are installed around your home, especially outside of sleeping areas and on each level of the home.
- Know the number to call if the detector sounds. Your local fire department will be able to inform you of the correct number.
- Be sure to test your alarms at least once per month.
- If the alarm goes off, get everyone outside, keep the windows/doors open and call for help.
- Never let a vehicle or generator run in your garage, even if the garage door is open.
For more safety tips on carbon monoxide, view the National Fire Protection Agency’s website.